Traffic Safety Facts for PedalCyclist
Ride a bike? This one is for you. 2% of all traffic fatalities in
2004 where cyclists. Since 1932 when this type of information started
being recorded, nearly 50,000 cyclist died in traffic accidents. Since
1994 numbers of fatalities have fortunately been declining by about 1% on
average per year.
Here are some of the statistics:
- 20% of the cyclists fatalities were in the age group of 5-15.
- The age group with the most fatalities was 35-44 year olds. 45-54
- 66% of the fatalities occurred in urban areas.
- 30% occurred between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m..
- 35% occurred during the months of June, July, and August.
- 28% of all fatalities involved either the driver of the vehicle or the
cyclist being under the influence of alcohol.
- 87% of the fatalities were males.
- California had the most fatalities followed by Texas, then Florida.
Information provided by National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration